Good news: Kudos to these self-Sustainability Catalyst organizations looking at real self-sustainbility of project activities. They are doing this by designing and assessing with project participants.
Here are the Catalyst organizations who value sustainability so much they design projects with participants use their own funds to ValueVoices and learn from what was sustainable. Not that there isn’t more to learn, there is, and programming can be improved, but these offer a great start!
Bad news: some are massive organizations that have done only a handful of post-project evaluations (or made only some public).
* Asian Development Bank post-project synthesis (to be reviewed… 400+ desk studies and while they don’t do any post-project evals, their final evaluations can be up to 10 years later such as this Nepal Hydro project.
* EDC Impact of Radio Instruction on Education in Zanzibar (to be reviewed, 2015)
* Federation of the Red Cross/ Red Crescent/ Ethiopian Red Cross: Valuing Voices research on sustainability: ERCS Tigray’s Food Security program and blogs on self-sustainability at final evaluation and trade-offs during impact
* Germany’s KfW Bank has mostly desk studies but interesting measures on programs in 11 countries.
* The Government of Australia (forthcoming)
* Millennium Challenge Corporation – two transportation ex-posts, e.g. Nicaragua and one on Mexican cash transfers
* Norad – one ex-post in Palestine
* OECD, 200 evaluations (!) of partner countries, albeit mostly ending research with partners, not participants
* USAID Food For Peace’s evaluation of Bolivia, Honduras, India and Kenya in 2015 and a Uganda (2014, to be reviewed) … otherwise only desk studies and requests for ex-posts on Development Experience Clearinghouse
* US CARE Zanzibar
* US Inter-American Foundation (part of US Governemtn) – 30 post-project evaluations
* US Lutheran World Relief (Niger, 2013)
* US PCI Bolivia (to be reviewed)
* West African Development Bank – 4 projects (Benin, Mali, Senegal, to be reviewed)
TOTALS: 24 organizations are sustainabilty catalysts… 30+ post-project sustainabiltiy evaluations in our database and in total 370 publicly available sustainability evaluations worldwide so far.
More are emerging… eg UK’s CAFOD, Concern, Helvetas, OXFAM, VSO and the Human Dignity Foundation, OAK Foundation…
Please contact us if you’d like to have your ex-post/ post-project featured or if we can evaluate a new one for you!